31 August, 2013

Pride and Prejudice Wrap Up Post!

Welcome to the end!

Today is the last day of winter and therefore the deadline for the Pride and Prejudice Challenge! So here's how it went for me.

First off I watched the Keira Knightley movie.





As I've said before, I struggle with the classics and always do better when I know what is going on. Otherwise I find myself fighting the language to understand the story.

I didn't mind this movie - it was OK, but then I watched the BBC production.

This was superior in every way. Longer, but covers the whole story and the acting was vastly improved (even if Mrs Bennet did drive me completely mad!) As for Colin Frith as Darcy - now that was swoon worthy!

Hmmmm...eye candy...
My recommendation? If you want to watch Pride and Prejudice, take the extra time and go the BBC version.

Next to finished was the book.




I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I have started to understand the fuss made about Jane Austen. Dare I say, I can even imagine re-reading this...voluntarily. I love the way Austen managed to write strong female characters in a time when women were not meant to be strong and independent minded. I also love how she had male characters who found that trait to be attractive.

And finally, the modern day adaptation, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.

This was really well done. I think knowing the original storyline made it more enjoyable and interesting. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who had not at least seen the BBC version or read the book. This covered the whole story and if you were simply relying on the movie, there is too much storyline you would be confused about, where it came from and how it fit in.

So there you have it, my Pride and Prejudice wrap up. Did you take part? What did you watch/ read? Have you done a wrap up post? I'd love to know what others have done, so please post a link below!