13 April, 2013

Lords and Ladies

Lords and Ladies - Terry Pratchett
From Goodreads: It's a hot Midsummer Night. The crop circles are turning up everywhere-even on the mustard-and-cress of Pewseyy Ogg, aged four. And Magrat Garlick, witch, is going to be married in the morning...Everything ought to be going like a dream. But the Lancre All-Comers Morris Team have got drunk on a fairy mound and the elves have come back, bringing all those things traditionally associated with the magical, glittering realm of Faerie: cruelty, kidnapping, malice and evil, evil murder.* Granny Weatherwax and her tiny argumentative coven have really got their work cut out this time...With full supporting cast of dwarfs, wizards, trolls, Morris Dancers and one orang-utan. And lots of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place.
 *But with tons of style.

What I Thought: Having finished the 6 books I bought on holidays, I turned to my kindle as I pondered my next read. Should I return to Les Miserables? Read the sequel to Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall? Try something completely unknown? Then my husband said Pratchett - Pratchett is perfect holiday reading. And he was right. (don't tell him, I don't want him getting ideas!)
Lords and Ladies sees a return to Lancure and the witches, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick as the prepare for Magrats wedding to the king. But as usual, all is not well. The elves are trying to break through from their world to the Discworld. And despite everyting you've heard before - Elves are not nice!

Challenges: eBook Challenge