08 August, 2011

The Adults

Title: The Adults
Author: Alison Espach
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Book - Library

Synopsis: Emily Vadal’s watches and observes the adults ‎around her, making witty and frequently biting comments. Her ‎parent’s divorce, her father’s affair with the neighbour and her ‎own on again off again affair with a teacher affect her outlook ‎and approach to life.‎

What I thought: I first came across this book via a review by ‎Claire over at The Captive Reader. I had trouble writing the ‎synopsis for this book. I think that was what it was about. I also ‎think I liked it, although I’m not 100% sure on that either! There ‎was large sections where I was quite engrossed in what I was ‎reading, and other parts where I thought maybe I’d picked up a ‎different book altogether. The book jumps large amounts of ‎time, like the whole of Emily’s schooling after high school. Her ‎choice of interior decorating as a career didn’t feel right to me, ‎it’s just not what I pictured her doing. But then again, maybe that ‎was the point. The books many changes of direction were jarring ‎and unsettling, which is how Emily’s life was. She never seemed ‎fully comfortable or engaged with what was going on around ‎her. In the end, I’m still not sure if I like it or not, although it was ‎definitely an interesting read!

Recommended for: I’m not sure!‎

Challenges: 100+ Challenge, TwentyEleven Challenge.‎