25 April, 2011

Library Loot

Library Loot is co-hosted by Claire at The Captive Reader and Marg at The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader.  This week it's hosted by Marg at The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader.   so pop over and see who else is participating.

It's a big loot this time, so get ready!


Non Books



Doctor Who Season 2, Discs 3&4 - was actually quite lucky to get this. We have two copies of this at work, both we tagged as lost, which means they are so overdue, we assume the borrower has lost them. A quick call to both clients at least saw one copy returned!








My Sister's Keeper - I have been avoiding this. I read the book and knew they had changed the ending - I hate it when they do that! Figured if I didn't pay for it, I could manage. Yep, they changed the end, but I still bawled! Good to know that Jodi Piccoult mother's annoy me just as much in a movie as they do in the books!



The Big Bang Theory Season 1 - So many friends have raved about this series I had to see if the hype was justified. I've watch the first few episodes and yep, it's funny.



The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency - loved these books. Will be interested to see what the series is like.









Books

The Children's Book Council of Australia (CBCA) has released the 2011 short list. I want to read the short listed older readers book before the winner is announced on Friday 19 August. So I've grabbed or reserved them all. The first four are ones that were on the shelf at work.



Graffiti Moon - Cath Crowley - short listed for the CBCA older readers book, 2011.












About A Girl - Joanne Horniman - - short listed for the CBCA older readers book, 2011.










The Midnight Zoo - Sonya Hartnett - short listed for the CBCA older readers book, 2011.










 The Piper's Son - Melinda Marchetta - - short listed for the CBCA older readers book, 2011.








 

The Taste of Apple - James Laidler -  a novel in verse. This also contains a CD which is a complete e book with music and spoken word tracks. I'm really looking forward to listening to this.






How To Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier - I went looking for this and the following book, Magic or Madness after reading Justine Larbalestier's Liar.









Magic or Madness - Justine Larbalestier











An Artist of the Floating World - Kazuo Ishiguro -  My continuing hunt for an Ishiguro novel I like as much as Never Let Me Go









If I Stay - Gayle Forman -  I've read several reviews of this, but it was Carly's over at Writing From the Tub that caught my eye the first time.









My War: Killing Time in Iraq - Colby Buzzell - I can't remember where I read a review of this, but it was enough to request the library buy it. They did!




The Union Quilters - Jennifer Chiaverini - The latest in the Elm Creek Quilt series. You can read my review here.







It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had A Baby, A Breakdown and A Much Need Margarita - Heather B Armstrong. - A book by one of my favorite bloggers ever! Heather writes the highly popular dooce.com. Don't click on the link if you offend easily. Do click on it if you like a really good laugh! I have learnt not to read dooce while drinking anything! You can read my review of the book here.


A Pressure Cooker Saved My Life - Juanita Phillips. - Juanita Phillips is a well known Australian journalist who tried to have it all, but ended up having a breakdown instead. This is her book to help you avoid the same thing. You can read my review here.








So as you can see, there will be a lot of YA reading going on around here!


Library loot since I last posted: 17                        Year to date -Fiction - 34
                                                                                                     Non Fiction - 14
                                                                                                     Non Book - 24
                                                                                                     Total - 62