20 April, 2011

It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, A Breakdown and a Much Needed Margarita

Author: Heather B Armstrong
Genre: Memoir
Audience: Adult
Format: Book - Library

Synopsis: When Heather Armstrong and her husband Jon decided to have a baby, Heather gave up lots of things, including her anti depressants. Through out her pregnancy and the start of Leta’s life, Heather struggled with the emotional roller coast that is post partum depression. In the end she survived and wrote this book.

What I thought: Heather Armstrong is the creator and writer of one of my all time favourite blogs dooce.com. On it she writes about her family and their life and she is funny!! However, don’t read it if you get easily offended by discussions about poop, vomit, dogs that eat their own waste products or anything in that vein.
So it’s kinda obvious why I wanted to read this book and I am really glad to say I wasn’t disappointed. Armstrong’s easy reading funny style translated beautifully into this book. I am very fortunate to say that I have never experience depression in any form, although both my sister and my mum suffer from it so I am not unaware of it’s effects. Armstrong’s matter of fact approach to her disease is refreshing. She makes no apologies, no excuses. She does not feel any shame in being affected by or by having to be treated. She recognises it’s essential for her to take medication so she can be the best mother for her children. And she manages to portray all this and make you laugh!

Recommended for: those who have suffered post partum depression, know someone who has or just wants a book that can make them laugh while teaching them something.