16 April, 2011

I Do Not Come to you by Chance

Title:I Do Not Come to you by Chance
Author: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Book - Library

Synopsis: Kingsley has followed his parents path and got a university education. However, getting a job is not as easy as it seems! As the eldest son, when tragedy befalls the family, it is up to him to help provide. He turns to his Uncle Boniface, also known as Cash Daddy. Cash Daddy, it is rumoured, has made his money through 419's - Nigerian email scams. Can Kingsley survive a trip into this world and maintain the respect of not only himself, but his family.

What I thought: I thoroughly enjoyed this book! This is Nwaubami's first novel and she does a brilliant job. The justifications used by Cash Daddy to ripped off "stupid westerners" is interesting. More interesting is that people still fall for the crap. I was also amazed at how far along they could get people to go before they realised it was a scam.
What I found sad though, was the obvious poverty of some who were educated, but for one reason or another, found themselves unable to work or get work in their area. As much as people run down welfare systems that support those who are sick or out of work, I think the alternative is way worse.
Given that, I do acknowledge that this is a work of fiction, and various aspects of life in Nigeria may have been exaggerated. I still want to know who falls for these things though!

Recommended for: those who just enjoy a good read.

100+ Challenge,