28 March, 2011

Scold's Bridle

Title: The Scold's Bridle
Author: Minette Walters
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Book - Library

Synopsis: When Mathilda Gillespie is found dead in her bath tub, wrists slashed and wearing the scold's bridle (an old instrument used to shut up women or scold's), many assume it is suicide. Even if it was murder, she was not a well liked woman and won't be missed by many. But when it is discovered that the old woman left her total inheritance not to her daughter or her grand daughter, but her doctor, many questions are raised. Slowly secrets are uncovered and the life and death of Mathilda Gillespie turn out to be not so straight forward after all.

What I thought: This was a re read for me. I read this many years ago. I love Minette Walters. Love her. What I really like is the fact that when I read one of her books, I don't feel like I have read it before. I often find with crime writers, after the first 4 or 5, they go stale. Minette Walters seems to somehow avoid this and produces a great original piece of work each time.

Recommended for: who those who love a good, well written murder!

Challenges:  100+ Challenge, TwentyEleven Challenge