12 February, 2011

Sparkle and Nightflower

Title: Sparkle and Nightflower
Author: Sonya Hartnett
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Young Adult
Format: Book (library)

Synopsis: Sam Sparkle and his mother, Sarah Nightflower are on the move again. This time to a rural town where Sarah's father has left her a boarding house. Sam once again goes through the agony of making new friends, in a place he really doesn't want to be, living with people he really doesn't want to live with.

What I thought: There is a marked difference in the writing of Hartnett between this and her first book, Trouble all the Way. It's more mature, the characters better fleshed out and for me, the story easier to read and follow. I know however how much better she gets and I'm looking forward to continuing my quest on reading all of her books.

Recommended for: those who want a clear vision of how a writer grows and matures.

Challenges:  100+ Challenge, A-Z Challenge, Aussie YA Challenge, For the Love of YA Challenge