01 February, 2011

A Pale View of Hills

Title: A Pale View of Hills
Author: Kazuo Ishiguro
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Book (Library)


Synopsis: Etsuko is a Japanese woman living in America. Living alone, she dwells on the recent suicide of her daughter while recalling a summer in Nagasaki as it struggled to recover after the bombing, and she made friends with Sachiko, a woman who was different from anyone else Etsuko knew.

What I thought: Hmmm, not sure where to start with this one. I liked it, I did. I find Ishiguro's writing engaging and lovely to read. And while I enjoyed the story, I will admit that it's one of those that made me feel slightly dumb, because I am sure there is more to it than I can see. I think it is something I would benefit from rereading, and soon so I don't forget my initial impressions. I think the brevity of the book (only 183p) lulled me into thinking it would be a quick, easy read and maybe I needed to slow down and think more about it.

Recommended for: those who like Ishiguro and like a read that challenges them to think.

Challenges: A-Z Challenge,  100+ Challenge,