06 October, 2010

Post Secret and The Secret Lives of Men and Women

 PostSecret by Frank Warren

The Secret Lives of Men and Women by Frank Warren

In November 2004, Frank Warren printed 3000 self-addressed postcards with the following information on them

SHARE A SECRET

You are invited to anonymously contributer a secret to a group art project. Your secret can be a regret, fear, betrayal, desire, confession or childhood humiliation. Reveal anything - as long as it is true and you have never share it with anyone before.

 
The postcards he got back he scanned and placed on a website - www.postsecret.com. After a few weeks, he stopped distributing postcards, but they kept coming. Now every Sunday, Frank posts a selection on the website.

I've followed the website for about two years now. I can't remember how I found out about it, but it is truly a highlight of my week. Over th years, several books of secrets have been published and this is two of them.

I don't think there is a secret in the books that didn't touch me somehow - whether it made me laugh, cry or squirm. Below are some of the secrets shared

I believe that one day I will like myself.

When I was 3 my dad liked me to brush his thick red hair. One dya he asked and I said I didn't want to. I never saw him again - he went away and then he died...I am 65 and some days I  still think it was my fault.

I thought you were a good lover. Now I know better...

I love to pee when I'm swimmng

Every year on June 4th I slow dance alone to the same song...while pretending to hold the baby I miscarried.

Every time I'm alone in an elevator I take the opportunity to pass gass, pick my nose and adjust my bra.

And my favourite

Dear Frank,
I have made six postcards all with secrets that I was afraid to tell the one person I tell everything to, my boyfriend. This morning I planned to mail them, but instead I left them on the pillow next to his head while he was sleeping. Ten minutes ago he arrived at my office and asked me to marry him. I said yes.